Welcome to Bike Walk Montana, the statewide voice of people who bicycle and walk. Get involved and make our voice stronger.
Our overriding goal is to make bicycling and walking safe and accessible for all. We believe:
- Bicycling and walking are healthy, safe, economical, and fun.
- Everyone should feel safe while walking or riding a bicycle.
- Everyone has a right to transportation choices.
- Bicycling and walking can be made safer through education, appropriate legislation, and improved infrastructure.
- Bicycling and walking provide a simple and inexpensive way to promote public health, ease traffic congestion, and improve the environment.
- Diversity is critical to developing a strong bicycling and walking community.
Since then we have filed the paperwork necessary to become an official tax-exempt nonprofit organization, put up this website, started sending out an e-newsletter, applied for grants, met with the Highway Commission and other state and local government officials, signed on a statewide board of directors, hired an executive director, launched a membership program, developed a list of local champions, launched a listserv, and started developing a network of bicycling, walking and running clubs and businesses.
So, we’re finally rolling, but to succeed and meet our goals, we need help from bicyclists and walkers throughout Montana. Click here for five ways you can get involved.